Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Closing Exhibits

Next week will be the last week to see some great exhibits in Florence and like usual I always think I have more time and then find myself trying to catch them all before they're gone! I did get a chance however, to see the Francis Bacon show a few months ago This is a great contemporary art group show at Palazzo Strozzi's Strozzina centere for contemporary culture. I definitely enjoyed this exhibit even though I did find myself trying to no avail to explain to a somewhat angry Italian woman 'why this is considered art'. I guess that means that the show was a success since that is precisely the point. What is art? and who decides? Does beauty define art or vice versa? Definitely worth a visit before it ends on January 27th.


I was a big fan of the work of Annegret Soltau's threaded photographs as well as her threaded web room. Good stuff. 


Also at the Palazzo Strozzi is the 1930's: The Arts in Italy Beyond Fascism. I have yet to see this one and hope to get there this weekend. It looks pretty interesting with works from Giorgio de Chirico,  Lucio Fontana, and Giorgio Morandi, just to name a few. 

And then there is the amazing Marilyn at the Salvatore Ferragamo Museum . I am slightly confused about this one though since one of the flyers says that it ends January 28th while another shows the date running though April 1. I think I'll try to stop in this week and check it out. I will be sure to report back on this one. 


And then of curse since a couple of there shows are coming down there are two new ones that I am looking forward to. The first will take the place of the Fancis Bacon exhibit at the strozzina titled An Idea of Beauty  running from March 29th - July 28th. This show will focus on what beauty means to us today. Sounds great and should be interesting to see after the Marilyn exhibit. I can't wait to check this one out. 
And lastly, for now, is Salvador Dali. The incredible and fabulously mad Salvador Dali is coming to Palazzo Medici Riciardi in his own universe as he deserves to be (and how the show will be titled) The Dali Universe will open February 1st. 

So as you can see there is plenty going on around town for those of us looking beyond the Renaissance.
Let me know if you've seen any of these exhibits and what you thought of them. Leave a comment below!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! I always look forward to hearing from my reader! It will just take a second and I will get your comment posted!

Don't be Shy! Share!