Monday, March 25, 2013

Long Time No Post

I'm finally feeling better after an awful week of the flu and fever. I am trying to get caught up with everything that I got behind on while lying in bed! Of course since I live in Italy that means it will take me twice as long. We spent most of the day on Saturday at hardware stores looking for a solution for the horribly dirty, scratched, scuffed up and motor oil stained floors in what was the garage and my soon to be studio. The floor is the last thing that needs to be finished before I actually get to move my stuff in. Of course we are looking for the most cost effective solution possible and I have been searching for ideas for weeks now. I've looked into everything from floor paint to contact paper, to using tile remnants that we already have. Finally I decided to go with this cool idea that I found on An Oregon Cottage. A decoupage floor using plan brown craft paper!


It seems simple enough and I must say it hasn't been too hard finding the paper and the right glue. But now it's time for the polyurethane varnish which has proven to be a bit more challenging to find. A direct translation of polyurethane doesn't work, it turns out that it's something else entirely here. So this morning we have been on the hunt for a product that will work. When we actually attempt to tell someone what we need it for we are met with crazy looks and lots of 'no, ma non si puo fare!' But we have no fear! We will find something, we're getting close and hopefully we will have a solution by the end of the day and by tomorrow afternoon we will be brushing on the final coat! Only time will tell. Wish us luck!


This is what my floor looks like at the moment. I decided to go with a more even, rectangular cut of paper rather than the torn pieces like the photo above (sorry about the photo quality, it was taken with my ipad)  
This is another view, you can see a little bit of the old floor that I still need to cover. Let's hope this works! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! I always look forward to hearing from my reader! It will just take a second and I will get your comment posted!

Don't be Shy! Share!